Saturday, October 24, 2009

Social Institutions

In preparation for Tuesday’s class, I did some reading of chapter 6 in the Korgan and White book, The Engaged Sociologist. And in this chapter, both Korgan and White covered a topic that we had been focusing on the past few weeks: family. But more importantly, how social institutions affected family and life in general. In the chapter, it was stated that, “The makeup of your family, the laws you must follow, your professional career, your schooling, and even whether or not you believe in a higher power (and, if so, what kind of higher power) are all based on the social institutions in your society” (Korgan and White 73). They also brought up the thought of what would happen if one of our rights were upheld (like freedom of speech). Since everyone is different, I wanted to know how social institutions (like government, religion, or the education system) have had an affect on you. How have these social institutions affected where you are today? How might these social institutions affect you later in life as you start your professional career? What challenges might you face? And how might future generations be affected by the many changes that are happening in our social institutions?

1 comment:

  1. Everyone is raised a different way. I think its interesting to see how people turn out after they leave there home where there parents influence how you interpreted social institutions. Our parents teach us there values and morals but tell us to be an individual and develop our own opinions and attitudes. However most of the time they expect our values to be their own values.
    I was raised catholic and went to religious education classes every week. I also was baptized, received first communion, and was confirmed. At home these things affected me because I went to church every Sunday. However now that I’m on my own i don't attend church unless I am home. Religion is a very personal subject and my religion growing up has caused me to reevaluate what I want to believe.
    My family has been a large part of my life since I was born. Our family is small so there is a large importance placed on seeing our close family quite often. Even after leaving to go to college it hasn't changed. As a senior in high school I thought I would talk way less to my parents and not have time to see family as much. However, that is not the case; I talk to me mom on an almost daily basis and talk to extended family in some form at least once a week. The internet and cell phone have probably helped in this. My family influences me in a lot of ways even though I’m not around them all that much.
    The education system teaches you right and wrong from a small age. We are taught to share and be nice to others. ITs funny that things we get taught in first grade still apply now. It's almost the "rules" of society. Education shapes my views. If I didn't attend Linfield College and do my LC's I wouldn’t have a board spectrum of the world.
    When i start my professional career all these things will still affect me. I will most likely have chosen something to believe and do so with whomever I marry. Also, family will still be a large part of my life because i will have my extended family, immediate family, and my own family. I will continue to be educated as I do my career; it's a requirement of the job. So i will still be in education institutions being shaped by their philosophies. Looking at all of this its crazy to think how much all these things affect us.

    ReplyDelete